Summary: This blog introduces the best free slideshow makers with music and effects in the first part. For more control over the effects, themes and templates, there are another 6 pieces of freemium slideshow making software to play with.
Are you aware of how many photos are taken and then forgotten in the storage card? Photos of cute babies, 4-leg friends, birthday parties, weddings, and more. Using a photo slideshow maker can breathe life into those still photos.
In fact, any fully-baked video editor can be used as a slideshow maker, the only drawback is the amount of time and effort required if you are new to non-linear editing software. That's why the market of dedicated and easy-to-use slideshow makers blossom.
A slideshow maker might have some or all of these options:
- Add transitions
- Add filters and adjust colors
- Add background music
- Add text and captions
- Add video layovers such as stickers and PiP
- Record your voice to add commentaries
The difference lies in the degree of customizability each program allows, and that makes sense because those programs aim at different markets (for users at different skill levels).
Free slideshow maker offers essential functions enough for a simple video, and you can use Instasize Photo Editor to enhance your photos before making photo slideshow. If you don't mind spending a penny, there are freemium programs that offer more templates and controls to get design-y. We cover both types in this blog for different editing needs.
Best Free Slideshow Makers for Windows 10/11/8/7 and Mac
1. VideoProc Vlogger
Supported System: Windows 10/11/8/7, Mac OS X 10.11 or later. Natively optimized for Apple Silicon chips on M1/Pro/Max/Ultra/M2 Macs.
If you want to create a slideshow with background music and animation effects, VideoProc Vlogger is the go-to choice. It is the best slideshow maker for Windows 10/11 and old versions. It comes with a motion editor to create pan and room effects, and a beat detection tool to make cut-to-the-beat photo slideshow.
For mobile users, click here >
You can add unlimited numbers photo to the timeline, make the transition go along the beat of the music, which is visually enchanting.
Even a beginner can quickly get the hang of this application, and start to create slideshow with a professional looking, and the preview is smooth and high speed, in realtime.
- Use motion presets or customize keyframes for slide animations
- Auto detect beat to mark out timing for photo transition
- Trendy filters, effects, and transition presets to use
- Add animations to text, customize text style, font, color, etc.
- Support mainstream and rare photo and video formats
- 999+ tracks to make comic slideshows easily
- No color wheels or curves for grading
Check out what VideoProc Vlogger's user talks about its slideshow-making features (quoted from its YouTube Channel):
Download VideoProc Vlogger to create slideshow without watermaker or any other limitation, it is free:
2. Microsoft Photos
Supported System: Windows 10/11.
For beginners, the default video editor is one of the best free slideshow makers for Windows 10. It is pre-installed, and comes with basic transition and motion effects enough for a quick making of photos slideshow with music. The best thing is, you can directly pick photos and videos already stored in the Photos library, or import media from iPhone and Android mobiles. With each photo or video inserted to the storyboard, you can trim it or adjust duration, add captions, transitions and music.
- Pre-installed app, easy to use
- Lightweight for low-performance computer
- Barebones for power users looking for highly customizable solutions
Supported System: Mac-only.
If you are looking for the best free slideshow makers for Mac, iMovie ranks top on the list. Developed by Apple, this video editing application works nicely for slideshow making. You don't have to train yourself to get design-y, the themes and text styles in iMovie keep up with Apple's aesthetics. You can add enormous numbers of photos and video clips into the timeline, as long as the finished video falls within 60 minutes.
- Various stylish themes for quick slideshow making
- Countless YouTube tutorials to guide you through slideshow making
- Option to add and edit background music for the slideshow
- Changing the aspect ratio of the video is less straight-forward
Supported System: Windows, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7.
The interface of ffDiaporama does admittedly look a little dated at a first glance. But it is free and open source software, hard to beat that! You can turn photos into a video with music.
This program has basic transition built-in, including commonly seen slide, zoom, fade, etc. Transitions can be applied between each photo, with the option to change speed.
- Option to quickly rearrange photos by dragging them
- Support editing background music in the slides
- Only provides some basic functions
- No templates or storyboard to use
Supported System: Windows 7 and newer, macOS 10.13 and newer, Ubuntu 64-bit.
If you want an automatic photo slideshow wizard, 4K Slideshow Maker does the magic. This best slideshow maker for Windows 10 automatically creates a video from photos you imported, and apply random but nice transitions and effects to the photos. Popular effects such as ken burns will be added, giving you a view of panning and zooming to breathe life into still photos. It also allows you to adjust the duration of photos and transitions.
- Ready-to-use profiles to export video as the best format for iPhone, YouTube, Facebook, 4K
- Directly import photos from Instagram to create IG photo show
- Option to use face detection tech to keep people in the frame
- All the things you prefer to manually done is not possible in this program
- No option to trim and cut background music and videos
- Cannot add text or stickers to the video
Supported System: Windows XP/7/8/10/11.
Bolide Slideshow Creator is a lightweight free slideshow maker, with a merely 9MB installation package. The interface is archaic, with a design aesthetic from the Windows 7 era. All the basic needs can be fulfilled: add multiple photos to the storyboard, insert transitions between photos, add one piece of background music, and apply animated titles. It works nicely if you only want to showcase photos with simple transitions. There is no photo college tool to stylize photos in each frame.
- Lightweight and easy-to-use, suitable for low-spec machines
- It supports up to 18 languages
- Option to randomly arrange photos you added into the storyboard
- 1-click make all photos landscape or portrait by cropping, zoom in, or letter box
- Doesn't support 4K or higher resolutions
- Cannot add and merge multiple pieces of music to one video
- The output format is limited to AVI, MP4, WMV, MKV and FLV
Best Slideshow Makers with Music, Effects and Templates
Supported System: Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10 (Windows RT/10S not supported. MacOS 10.14 Mojave or later.
Photopia Creator is a professional slideshow maker for Windows 10 with templates, stock music, caption presets, and a myriad of advanced functions. You can add an image masking layer, adjustment layer and keyframes to create a stunning video. For non-techie users, there is are plethora of slide styles (templates) to use, with options to make custom adjustments. For instance, you can color grade or resize a photo to fit in the template.
- Option to adjust brightness, contrast, hue, saturation of the photo within the software
- 950+ built-in effects and 250 tracks of royalty-free music library to use
- Option to group several slides together for better organization
- Subscription-based software with a 21-day free trial
- Less suitable for occasional users
Supported System: Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP.
IceCream Slideshow Maker is a no-brainer choice for beginners to quickly create animated slides with still photos. With a straightforward interface and clear guidance, you can simply import photos and apply transitions in between.
It is similar to how you add animation in PowerPoint slideshow, except that IceCream SlideShow Maker will turn it into a video in the end. You can add transition like cross-fade, fade to black, fade to white, pixelate, flip over, wipe, stretch, zoom etc. If you want a photo to stay on the screen for a while, you can change its duration.
IceCream also allows you to add text layover on your photos, you can select font, color and position of the captions. There are some handy effects for text too. It offers basic functions to add audio, and sync audio with the photos.
- No learning curve for beginners
- 20+ transition effects to apply in 1-click
- Real-time preview of the end product
- Only supports 20 photos per slideshow in the free version
Supported System: Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP.
PhotoStage has an interface that resembles regular video editing software, with effects, animations, text and transitions tabs clearly displayed in the working space. It allows you to combine photos and videos into a new video, and apply one of the 47 transitions to smooth out image switch.
PhotoStage has a sound effects browser baked in, you can select them by categories, including whoosh, sport, Sci-Fi, nature, etc.
- Record and add narration to the slides directly within the program
- Smooth real-time preview of slideshow video with effects and music
- Templates for text look out-dated
- Less intuitive to deal with photos of different frame sizes
Supported System: Windows 10 and older versions.
MediaShow offers a powerful solution to organize photos and create slideshow from them. It also allows you to add video clips into the slides.
Unlike other programs that focus on slideshow creation, MediaShow is more of a combination of Lightroom and video editor. You can tag and grade photos, use AI face-recognition tech to better organize photos. With photos and videos ready, you can make a slideshow with background music. There is a dazzling array of designs, text effects and transitions to apply.
- Create slideshow with photos from Instagram and Dropbox
- Support adding videos and 3D photos
- User-ready themes to apply for slideshow videos
- Overblown if you only want a photo slideshow maker
Supported System: Windows 10/11(64-bit version).
Magix Photostory Easy has a very neat interface. Once you imported photos into the timeline, you shall see a plus icon between each photo, and that's the place to add a transition.
There are some high-quality intro and outro templates to make the process easier, and it offers you decorative elements as video layovers. In addition to this, Photostory is also packed with image optimizer to enhance your photo slides.
- Beginner friendly and easy to navigate
- Export settings including burn to DVD and publish online
- Option to record your voice for the slides
- Fewer customization choices if you want to add a personal touch to the slideshow video
12. SmartShow 3D
Supported System: Windows 10 and older versions.
SmartShow 3D is a dedicated slideshow maker to spice up your photos and videos. As its name suggests, you can add 3D animation effects for photos and captions. It also provides you with a wide range of tools, 150+ transitions and animation effects and 30+ video output formats.
Though it is less expansive as a typical video editor, it offers you slides templates designed by professionals to use instantly, with themes like wedding, vacation and Christmas. You can add music and voiceover to the slides too.
- Stylish 3D effects to display multiple photos in one scene
- Make animated photo collage styled slides
- Less option to use your own stickers
13. PTE AV Studio
Supported System: Windows 10/11 and older versions, 64 bit. macOS 10.12 Sierra to macOS 12 Monterey.
PTE AV Studio 10 is a successor of PicturesToExe 9. If you are looking for something complete with effects control, this program might be the best slideshow makers for you. You can fine-tune effects and motions of the picture slides, to the extent of using professional editing software.
As for templates and transitions, there are nicely designed presets, such as Brush strokes, 3D album flipping effects, and photo collage to display your pictures and videos. The audio control is powerful too, you can drag curves to control the volume of background music, commentary voice over and sound effects.
- Highly customizable with easy-to-understand parameter settings
- Export 4K video to display high quality photos
- Option to create Executable (.exe) shows for PC
- Require some learning curve for a non-techie person
Best Photo Slideshow Makers Online
Canva Slideshow Maker offers a streamlined experience to create a slideshow online. It certainly benefits from a huge array of stylish graphic designs and other visual assets on this platform. You can import videos and still photos to replace examples in the presets. The best thing is, you can click on individual graphic in the template, and change its color schemes.
Kapwing Slideshow Maker is an easy to use online tool to convert photos into videos for free. The minimalist design is consistent throughout the platform and caters to people with the same taste. You can choose a desired aspect ratio including 1:1, 9:16, 16:9, 4:5, 5:4, and custom size. Using the placeholder, you can also place Emojis over your photo slideshow.
16. Google Photos
Google Photos has built-in slideshow and Collage makers. Combining these tools properly, you can churn out fantastic photo slideshows on the fly. You can select desired photos and let Google create the slideshow for you automatically. The only drawback is, it cannot create slides for photos from different albums. You need to go inside one album, and click the three-dot icon to call out the Slideshow option. You can create an album specifically to make slideshows.
It is true that most of the dedicated slideshow makers have a limited free trial, while free slideshow makers fail to provide more templates and styles (except iMovie).
If you are serious about making photo slideshow with music and effects, and you are not satisfied with the limitation imposed by simple programs, there are more than 10 pieces of free non-linear video editing software to choose from, including Shotcut, VSDC, HitFilm Express, Lightwork, DaVinci Resolve, Kdenlive, etc.
Unlike dedicated slideshow maker, everything is highly customizable. It would be bliss for customization and curse for non-techie beginners. You can make your own templates, creating PNG files with Photoshop, and import it into the program. Or you can purchase professionally designed templates, with motion graphics and title styles ready to use.
Wishing you all the best with the slideshow project.
- PowerDirector - Best Slideshow Creator Overall. ...
- PixTeller - Best for Marketing. ...
- SmartSHOW3D - Best for 3D Collages. ...
- Animoto - Best for Templates. ...
- Kizoa - Best Slideshow Creator Online. ...
- PhotoStage Slideshow Software - Best for Non-Commercial Use.
Free Slideshow Maker & Video Editor.Does Windows 10 have a slideshow maker? ›
Use the video editor in the Photos app to create video slideshows that combine your photos and videos with music, motion, text, and more. You can even add animated 3D effects, like sparkles or fireworks!Which is the No 1 photo editing app for free? ›
PhotoDirector - Best Free Photo Editor App
PhotoDirector is the best photo editing app in the market. It includes studio-quality AI-powered tools to animate your photos, remove unwanted objects, change backgrounds, and touch up photos.
Microsoft PowerPoint Slide Presentation Software.What is the strongest tool to create a presentation and slideshow? ›
- Canva. Canva is a graphic design platform offering organizations a variety of professionally designed templates for their presentations. ...
- Visme. ...
- PowerPoint. ...
- Powtoon. ...
- SlideCamp. ...
- Prezi. ...
- VideoScribe. ...
- Haiku Deck.
- Movavi Clips (iOS & Android)
- MoShow Slideshow Photo & Video (iOS & Android)
- PicPlayPost (iOS & Android)
- Videoshop (iOS & Android)
- Viva Video (iOS & Android)
- Photo SlideShow Maker.
- Write before you design. ...
- Start with a title slide that piques interest. ...
- Stick to simple designs. ...
- Emphasize one point per slide. ...
- Use text sparingly. ...
- Select images for impact. ...
- Practice your verbal presentation.
In the Photos app on your Mac, select the photos you want in your slideshow. You can add or remove photos later (see “Add or remove photos and text in a slideshow,” below). Choose File > Create > Slideshow > Photos. Click the Slideshow pop-up menu and choose New Slideshow.Does Google have a free slideshow maker? ›
Google Slides: Online Slideshow Maker.
Create impressive slideshows and video presentations with the free slideshow maker by Icecream Apps. Combine photos, add transitions, music, text and more. All in a simple way. Icecream Slideshow Maker compatible with Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7 and XP.How do I run a slideshow in Windows 10? ›
- To start your slide show, on the Slide Show tab, select Play From Beginning. ...
- To manage your slide show, go to the controls in the bottom-left corner and do any of the following: ...
- To skip to any slide in the presentation, right-click the screen and select Go to Slide.
Photos is Windows 11's default image viewer and photo-editing app. That app includes a Slideshow option you can select to view a compilation of images. You can view slideshows in Photos with that option as follows: Click the pinned Photos app that's on Windows 11's Start menu.Can I make a slideshow with Windows Media Player? ›
For doing so, open the window media player. Go to the settings, click the option, and then turn on the shuffle. Click on the folder and photos you want to make a slideshow of. There you go with the random slideshow.What is the most powerful free online image editor? ›
- Canva. Best free online photo editor for collaborating with teams. ...
- Adobe Photoshop Express. Best free online photo and image editor for mobile. ...
- Instasize. One of the best free online image editors for influencers. ...
- Pixlr. Best browser-based free image editor for a quick touch-up. ...
- BeFunky. ...
- piZap. ...
- Photopea. ...
- PicsArt (Android, iOS) PicsArt (Image credit: Future/Sally Grotta) ...
- Snapseed (Android, iOS) Snapseed (Image credit: Future/Sally Grotta) ...
- Adobe Photoshop Camera (Android, iOS) ...
- Pixlr (Android, iOS) ...
- Adobe Lightroom (Android, iOS) ...
- Instagram (Android, iOS) ...
- Google Photos (Android, iOS) ...
- Prisma (Android, iOS)
- GIMP. This fully accessible photo editor has grown in popularity and is now one of the top choices for beginners. ...
- WPS office. ...
- Photos app for windows 10. ...
- Adobe Lightroom. ...
- Fotor. ...
- Darktable. ...
- Photopea. ...
- Coral PaintShop Pro.
In general, each photo will have a 7 second screen time (including transition time between photos). So, that would equal about 8-9 photos per minute.How do I make a slideshow of pictures on my computer? ›
Right-click a photo in the folder containing the photos you want to show in the slide show. Select Open With, and then select Photo Gallery. Once opened, use the bottom menu (shown below) to advance one picture at a time or start a slide show with F12 .
For example, Google Slides makes it much easier to work across IOS, Android and desktop devices. However, Microsoft PowerPoint has a robust desktop solution that gives you the ability to do things like embed audio files and draw your animations.
Microsoft PowerPoint, virtual presentation software developed by Robert Gaskins and Dennis Austin for the American computer software company Forethought, Inc. The program, initially named Presenter, was released for the Apple Macintosh in 1987.Does Word have slideshow? ›
In brief, Word has the capacity to make slideshows, though the procedure is a bit complicated. In this tutorial, we are going to show you the workflow and simplify the procedure to make slideshow on Microsoft Word.How do I make a slideshow with music and memory? ›
- Choose a memorial video template or start from scratch.
- Upload your photos and video clips.
- Personalize your video by changing colors, text, and music.
- Finish your HD video and download it to share at a funeral or online with family and loved ones.
PowerPoint is a powerful tool for presentations, but also Photo Slideshows.What is the 10 20 30 rule for slideshow? ›
Created by former Apple brand ambassador Guy Kawasaki, the 10-20-30 rule states that a PowerPoint presentation should have no more than 10 slides, never last longer than 20 minutes, and should use a minimum point size of 30 for the font.Is there a free slideshow app? ›
Canva is a design tool that allows you to make stunning slideshows in seconds. Simply open our editor, pick a slideshow template, then add your photos and videos. Next, select a soundtrack and download your video.How do I make an impressive slideshow? ›
Your slides should highlight or add context to what you're saying. If you have a lot of information to share, don't be afraid to spread it out over multiple slides. Your slides should have white space that allows your audience to focus on what's important. Sometimes that might be a few words or an image or two.How many pictures are needed for a 4 minute slideshow? ›
However, a good rule of thumb is 25-35 pictures per average length song (about 3-4 minutes) It works best to select a sequence of pictures and a song to match in order to break down and manage the project so it all flows together smoothly.What is the best color for a slideshow? ›
Stick with white or light beige on a dark background or black (or otherwise very dark color) on a light background. Your slides will have a more professional appearance as a result. Stay away from gradients in text unless the words are large and intended to be primarily decorative in nature.Does Apple have a free slideshow maker? ›
The Slideshow Creator app is always free to use. Free version includes adding up to 20 media files per slideshow. Create longer slideshows (and get access to our award-winning desktop program) with a subscription. Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase.
FlexClip is a free online video maker platform that offers an easy way for memorial video and funeral slideshow creation in honoring loved ones and heroes. You can easily make a solemn video for the deceased in just a few minutes.What is PowerPoint equivalent in Mac? ›
With its powerful tools and dazzling effects, Keynote makes it easy to create stunning and memorable presentations, and comes included with most Apple devices. Use Apple Pencil on your iPad to create diagrams or illustrations that bring your slides to life.Which Photo slideshow Maker is the best? ›
- Movavi Slideshow Maker.
- SmartSHOW 3D.
- NCH PhotoStage Slideshow Software.
- Wondershare Filmora.
- Icecream Slideshow Maker.
|Photo Slideshow||Android||Free to Use|
|Slideshow Maker||Android||Free to Use|
- Install and run the slideshow maker in Windows 10.
- Choose photos and add them to the software.
- Add music and set transitions.
- Create slideshow.
In general, each photo will have a 7 second screen time (including transition time between photos). So, that would equal about 8-9 photos per minute.Which is better Google Slides or PowerPoint? ›
The pros and cons of each software vary depending on the specific needs of a business. However, generally speaking, Google Slides is better for creating presentations that are interactive and easy to navigate, while PowerPoint is better for creating more traditional presentations.How many photos do I need for a 10 minute slideshow? ›
The general rule for events such as anniversaries, birthdays, wedding receptions, etc. is 10-15 minutes. The average number of pictures used per minute is 10-12. Therefore, 100 pictures would produce a 10-12 minute video length.Is there a fee for Google Slides? ›
Google Slides Cost
Google Drive and Google Slides are completely free services. You will not need to pay to download and use these programs. All of the features we've discussed so far are 100% free.
Some of the best free slideshow makers on our list are Adobe Spark, Clideo, Renderforest, Canva, Smilebox, Animoto, Kizoa, PhotoStage, Kpwing, and InVideo.What is the best free photo collage maker? ›
- Adobe Spark.
- Canva Collage Templates.
- BeFunky Collage Maker.
- Fotor Collage Maker.
- Google Photos.
The PicCollage VIP is a subscription that provides access to enhanced features and removed watermark and ads. We now offer a 7-day trial to let you try out for free!